December 13, 2011

Craigslist Tip {and the lamp purchase}

I recently had my first Craigslist oopsie {if that’s what you want to call it}. I like to stalk Craigslist daily. I do so just in case I find the perfect…something for super cheap. Generally furniture. A couple of weeks ago I found a decent set of lamps for $15. I figured…for that price I couldn’t lose. I’ve been wanting some lamps to go with my living room redo {check that original post out here.} I actually ended up getting the pair for $10!! Can you believe it?? Have you looked at lamp prices lately??? For $10 if they don’t work out…not a huge deal.

Now just because I stalk Craigslist daily doesn’t mean I know what the heck I am doing when it comes to making a transaction.

I’ll show you what the picture looked like in the listing…


5V25P05R53n23m23p4bb41026d142fc3c1db9


Not too bad huh? Nothing out of the ordinary…just old.

The wooden base was what sold me. I can do a lot with that…AND they would be perfect for my TV stand…on each side of my TV.

When I went to pick them up, the lady got out of her SUV carrying something that was half the size of her. After a second glance I realized it wasn’t her child it was the lamp…only one might I add. My first words were, “wow those are really big”. But I decided to continue with the transaction because I could still use them…AND they were only $10.
I had to put one in my trunk and the other in my back seat. Both would not fit in either spot together.  I laughed the whole way home at the thought of what D would say when I walked in the door with them. They will for sure NOT be going on the TV stand as they will not fit together. 

Plan B is in order.

So….note to self {and any Craigslist beginners} for future Craigslist purchases. ASK for dimensions!!! Let that be a lesson to me…

Now to find the perfect fabric for the lamp shade and the right paint for the base. I’m sort of leaning towards this look….


lamp-makeover-300x399


Kimba at A Soft Place To Land did a great job with this lamp! You can read all about that here. I love it.

I also love this lamp by Anthropologie


20984308_010_m


In general, it looks like I’m drawn to white and brown :) This will be my first lamp redo so wish me luck :) And if any of you seasoned crafters have any tips…please share!

2 comments:

  1. omg I have been sitting here laughing at this post! I don't even know you but I can imagine how funny it was to see such large lamps :) Good story :) Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how funny! I wouldn't have thought they would be that huge either! :o) They have great potential though! And lately I am kind of crazy about large lamps.... maybe you will decide you love them too!
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and enjoy reading each and every one of them! Thanks for stopping by!